Thursday, February 18, 2010

Crazyheart Review



Wow, def an interesting run for me this month. Just saw Crazy Heart with Jeff Bridges. Funny thing too. I was soooo not wanting to check it out but yet again I was like "Alright, just for a couple of minutes." Just the night before I'd put on the new Benicio Del Torro "Wolfman" flick (What? My Friend works for a major distributor...yeah, what can I say, if you're a film buff figure out a way to not have to pay for that ish ;-) and was literally falling asleep after 15 minutes. Wolfman was a pathetic excuse for getting butts in theatre seats. Crazy Heart on the other hand was a film goers wet dream. Excellent from the first frame to the last.

Sad thing is the Marketers for Crazy Heart had it all wrong. The movie preview for Crazy Heart put my ass to sleep. They seemed to be marketing for a 45 years and older crowd. There was no way I was going to see that film, even if Bridges himself called me up and was like "Hey Achilles, come see my new film..."

Then again maybe that's why the film was a total surprise to me. Seriously, after watching this film I literally have a new respect for Country music. Having lived in Texas for over 14 years I hated Country Music. Seriously HATED it. I still do, but after watching this movie I'm like "Alright, I won't judge anymore."

Everyone of the cast members was brilliant. The flow of the film was great and yes, you could say that in this film Jeff Bridges is like an older Big Lebowski (which is mad cool if you loved watching the Big Lebowski like I did, and still do ;-).

Bridges really shows his amazingness here. Then again I find him to have always been a very exceptional actor.

PLOT:

Bridges plays 'Bad Blake', a famed country singer who's past his prime and looking like his next gig is going to be in a casket. We see him at his worst driving in a beat up suburban from shitty gig to shitty gig. He still has an agent and he can still rock a show. The man has talent and integrity (which is what pretty much gets him through the whole movie...in a good way though... as it shows that hard work can build integrity, and with integrity you really are nothing).

He's an alcoholic, who lives what he writes and sings, comes with the territory. Through the film we see all the characters in Crazyheart having to change there ways to cater to their environments. Bad Blake decides to stay the same, from not wanting to put out new songs, or stop drinking etc. and in the end we see how much this will have an effect on his well being, and survival at that.

We know men like Blake far too well. He could be your Uncle or Cousin or even your Father. There's a bit of Bad Blake in all of us.


Why write about this film?

I don't even like Country music yet this movie def makes me keep an open to appreciating someones craft. I guess since I'm an artist myself I'm very keen to watch who and what I judge. I basically make it a point in my life to NEVER judge. Whether it's music, religion, sexual beliefs etc. Judging will get you in trouble, except when watching movies and seeing if they sucked balls or not ;-P



Who to watch this with:

Any super smart and witty film goer who understands and appreciates good drama and acting.
Cool chicks who appreciate good art and who are super hot and don't wear granny panties.
Positive high energy people.

Who not to watch this with:

Girls who wear Granny Panties, or who are boring. Someone who doesn't have a sense of humor. Older people who have a chip on their shoulder. People who are always feeling sorry about themselves.











No comments:

Post a Comment