Monday, February 15, 2010

Movie Review: Gone Baby Gone


Just finished watching a movie with one of the worst titles ever: Gone baby Gone.

But don't worry, the fact that this is one amazing film makes up for it, tenfold. As far as the title goes they could have named it "Jar Jar Binks is Back" and it wouldn't have mattered. This film holds its own: Originality, Directing, Acting, Cinematography...the list goes on and on.

Why am I writing about it when tons of good films come out each year and get the notoriety they "deserve", i.e proper marketing campaign? Because being in the age demographic of 21-30 I heard squat about this film. Matter a fact I'm wondering if this movie was only marketed to senior citizens who watch Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune every night at 6:30pm (eastern standard time). Sure I don't tend to ever "want" to watch thriller and dramas about kids being kidnapped but maybe that's why I found this film to be so amazing. For the fact that it was all of the above and turned out to be one of the most interesting films I've seen since Children of Men or District 9 (Two films that have nothing to do with GBG's genre).

It takes alot for me to post up a film on this blog. Seriously, movies are reviewed and reviewed over and over again whether good or bad. And yes, I watch almost all of them (because I simply enjoy watching movies), but for me to sit and write about it. Yes, shit better be cathartic...epic.


PLOT:

Cassey Affleck (In one of the best performances I've seen him portray ever in a movie since his bit part in Good Will Hunting) plays a sort of Private detective who helps find missing children/people with his Girl friend/partner Michelle Monaghan. When a child from the area is, you guessed it, missing, they child's Uncle and wife seek Affleck's services. As Affleck goes about investigating everything isn't what it seems to be. And yes, all hell breaks loose with Affleck caught right in the middle.


This movie had me sucked in from the first 5 minutes. Having just done an IMDB search 20 seconds ago I have just found that this film was directed by Ben Affleck. This is shocking to me. Very shocking. I went into this film not knowing who the hell directed it. Why I even wanted to watch it is still making me wonder (other than the fact that I saw that it had high ratings on IMDB and then having read the review by MikeKuch, which was awesome btw, I decided to give it a shot). I seriously love watching anything that Entertains and movies like this usually do the opposite.


WHY:

This movie will make you think about what's REALLY right and what's REALLY wrong. Do you have what it takes to do the right thing? And is the right thing to do REALLY the right thing to do? Can you live with and stand by the decisions you make when everyone (including those who you love and love you back) is against you...when those closest to you will more than likely alienate you.

Well acted with an all star A-list cast (and no name cast that also did an astounding job) that includes Morgan Freeman, Ed Harris, and the fat dude cop who was in Beverly Hills Cop 2 and 3.

I personally love films that make me think about "What if this was me in that situation, or what if I knew people like this, how would I feel?" and GBG does that, flawlessly.

Just when you think the film is going end in the good ol' fashioned way we've seen all these types of films play out it quickly slaps you in the face with some "Hell No Muthafucka, this shit here is Original, Enjoy!!" and makes you sit back and say, "Damn, that felt good, thank you for bringing some clever amazingness to the table..." and then it makes you think that those in Hollywood actually do make decent decisions when making films and not all films in Hollywood are designed to appease the masses, i.e the people who don't like to think, or read and like watching reality TV more than actually trying to live in the Real Life.



Who to watch this film with:

Alone when everyone is asleep and all is quiet. With another serious film watcher who appreciates films like such. The fewer the people the better. This film is not what I would call a crowd pleaser. It will surface alot of guilt in everyone (and believe me, if you're over 21 you've definitely made some mistakes in life that made you think twice "doing" or not "doing" the "right thing."



Who not to watch this film with:

Anyone younger than 21 (unless they are very mature and act like an older person).
Girls you're trying to lay that same night (Go ahead and watch it with them if you've already had sex ;-)
Friends from High school or College. Parents.













No comments:

Post a Comment